This clip is from the 1944 MGM technicolor smorgasbord Meet Me in St. Louis directed by total genius Vincente Minnelli and produced by that musical making powerhouse Arthur Freed. I know I normally don’t mention producers, but if we’re talking about musicals of the 40s and 50s, and we are, we’ve got to include the Freed. The film follows a family’s adventures, trials, and minor tribulations in St. Louis, Missouri before the 1904 World’s Fair. It stars Judy Garland, Lucille Bremer, Leon Ames, the lovely Mary Astor, the always comforting even when prickly Harry Davenport, and child star Margaret O’Brien.
- The White Default
- Django Unchained
- Prince Avalanche
- The Wandering Spiritual Nomadic Couchsurfer of Sundance
- Things at Sundance
- Wes Anderson’s Arrested Development
- Be back soon…
- Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie! (and more)
- Keira Knightley’s Vagina (A Dangerous Method)
- Pasolini’s Accatone
- Chaz & Kartina: Marrakech Film Festival
- Ebert Presents: Race and the Movies
- Certified Copy
- This is the Problem: Writing About Film
- Ebert Presents: Lars Von Trier’s Golden Heart Trilogy
- Attack the Block
- Ebert Presents: Who’s That Knocking At My Door
- The Tree of Life
- Addy : The Sound of Music
- The Cinema: Deadly & Holy
- That Darn Cat
- A Myrna Loy Story
- Jake : Fame
- Paul: I guess it’s not good to generalize. Humanity is vile. I don’t think things ought to be reduced to...
- Michelle: I LOVE this piece. It’s brilliant. Translates exactly how I felt about the film (and I’ve seen...
- Kyle: Thank you so much for uploading what has to be one of the most complex dialog inner actions from the golden age...
- Max Oblivion: Dave, What if you woke up one day and you weren’t a white guy anymore? Consider the possibilities.
- Dave Smith: I liked this film a lot. I have a preference that in a film with violence, I want to see it as real as it...
Tags1930s Abbott & Costello Andrei Tarkovksy Andrews Sisters Bill Robinson Birth of a Nation Cary Grant Childhood Citizen Kane Danish Disney Dogme Ebert Presents Elmer Bernstein Foreign Howard Hawks Italian Jack Cardiff Judy Garland Luchino Visconti Martin Scorsese MGM Musical Myrna Loy Natalie Wood Paul Mazursky Person : Movie Race Race in film RKO Robert Bresson Robert Mulligan Steve McQueen Sundance Sven Nyquist Technicolor Ted Lewis Teenagers Tempers Tennessee Williams Terrence Malick Theatre Thomas Vinterberg To Kill a Mockingbird Vincente Minnelli